Thursday, November 16, 2006

Communicating with Light

I called a friend on Vancouver Island in beautiful British Columbia, just to catch-up on things. At the moment I called him, "Cole" needed a solution to a "situation" he was experiencing.

When I called he was having a heated discussion with a collaborator about the details of a project and she was getting a bit ruffled by his tone and his insistence that there was a need for closer examination of some of their core assumptions. I called at that precise moment, explained to Cole's colleague what his issues were and therefore deftly averted an all-out argument.

He was thinking about me. I called. How does that work?

I'm reading "Urban Shaman, A Handbook for Personal and Planetary Transformation Based on the Hawaiian Way of the Adventurer" (Fireside/Simon & Schuster - 1990), by Serge Kahili King Ph.D.. He describes how in many cultural traditions, what is experienced as daily life is actually believed to be a dream (consensus reality). They believe that if you don't like what what you're experiencing you need only change what you're dreaming.

For example, I can hit a wall with my hand and I can tell it's solid because I hear a "THUD" and anyone present might also hear the sound... but science shows us that the wall is really made-up of atoms which are vibrating energy particles with a lot of space in between. Radio waves and other energy patterns can pass right through walls so what makes me believe in their solid form?

What if I were to practice seeing a wall as a special pattern of energy? Could I learn to walk through walls like a spirit? Maybe, maybe not. But what if I practiced on less persistent illusions? What if I start seeing the glass as half-full instead of half empty? What if I choose to see opportunities where I used to see problems?

I spend a huge portion of my time on the computer, chatting, planning, e-mailing and researching... all the while pushing keys with my fingers to activate patterns of light energy on a plasma screen. I imagine electrons going out into the energy field and manifesting as patterns of light somewhere else.

Look at that. I think; the ideas jump into existence as sparks in my brain; those sparks shoot out through the nerves in my fingertips and into the world of the electronic communication; are perceived as patterns of light on a screen elsewhere and gathered-up into sparks in someone else's brain.

Did I actually "do" anything?

If everything is made-up of atoms (energy patterns), do we really need computers to "do" that?

Did I somehow know that Cole needed me to call when I did?

No comments: